Friday, June 29, 2012

Grand Grandparents

I read an article written by Michael Pearl. He is a grandpa now and has a bit of advice for us.

"Nineteen grandkids are sometimes exhausting ... wonderfully exhausting. God gave kids to young adults because they can stand up to the rigors of raising a family. But we grandparents have our own special place. We may tire and have to take a nap but for a time we are able to devote 100% of our attention and energy toward the little ones. 
I will admit, when the grandkids are present I am useless for anything else. They make me run here and there and laugh until I am worn to a frazzle. I play music while they dance. I rig fishing poles, bait hooks, take fish off the line, and then clean them. We go for rides in the woods in my little buggy, read books, eat, go swimming, and I fall down exhausted while they run to Mama Pearl for more excitement." 


He further shares ...
  
".... But we have a great responsibility that falls to us entirely. We should guard against spoiling what the parents are trying to instill in their children. Grandparents can be a great blessing or a curse to their grandchildren. So, I am going to give you three lessons of grand parenting. 


1. Always communicate great respect for the child's parents and deference towrd their rules and manner of raising their children ... 


2, Never say, "Now, don't tell your parents." ...


3. Never second guess the parents' rules regarding food, dress entertainment ect .. 


We grandparents are only grand when we act grandly. We can be a great blessing to our children ... So, let's perform our roles to the glory of God and the encouragement of the parents who alone bear the full responsibility for these children. " 


Michael has words of wisdom. Fellow grandparents, let's join him in being GRAND grandparents.



No comments:

Post a Comment